Prayer is one of the toughest disciplines for me. I found this helpful guide for prayer in the booklet “Jesus’ blueprint for prayer” by Haddon Robinson. Maybe, you will find it as helpful for you in your prayer life.
Haddon uses the Lords prayer and breaks in to two halves. The first half of the prayer talks about praying about the “Father”.
- The “person” of God: “Your name”….Praise his attributes. He is holy, good, just, all-powerful, all-knowing,…
- The “program” of God: “Your kingdom”…Pray for his work to be done.
- The “purpose” of God: “Your will”…Pray for his will to be done for his glory.
The second half of prayer talks about praying for the family of God.
- Pray for the “provision” of the family of God: “Give us”…asking for basic needs for you and your friends and family.
- Pray for “pardon” of your sins: “forgive us” First John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
- Pray for “protection”: “lead us”..If needed, pray for protection for you or your family.
9 “Pray, then, in this way: ‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10 ‘Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.
11 ‘Give us this day our daily bread.
12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’